The Bunn Library, which opened in 1996, was gifted to Lawrenceville by the Bunn family of Springfield, Illinois and Lake Forest, Illinois; Harold W. McGraw Jr. ’36 GP’95; Arthur G. Hailand Jr. H’34 P’69 ’70 GP’91; David P. Reynolds ’34 GP’94; and Artemis A.W. Joukowsky ’50 P’80.
The Bunn Library, which opened in 1996, was gifted to Lawrenceville by the Bunn family of Springfield, Illinois and Lake Forest, Illinois; Harold W. McGraw Jr. ’36 GP’95; Arthur G. Hailand Jr. H’34 P’69 ’70 GP’91; David P. Reynolds ’34 GP’94; and Artemis A.W. Joukowsky ’50 P’80. Designed by leading designer Graham Gund, Bunn Library includes many rooms that are named after donors, such as the Reynolds Fine Arts Room, McGraw Reading Room, Joukowsky Faculty Lounge, and Elizabeth Gray Children’s Room. The signages surrounding the main lobby are all made of real silver, while the limestone flooring, imported from Austria, has authentic fossils embedded in it. Reynolds, one of the donors, was the chairman emeritus of Reynolds Metals Co. Donor McGraw ’36 GP’95 is currently the chairman of the Board of McGraw Hill Financial. Hailand was the vice president of insurance company Johnson & Higgins and served as a chairman on many boards, including Air Wisconsin, Butler International, Lake Forest College, Chicago Maternity Center, and The Hun School. Lastly, Joukowsky, president emeritus of Lawrenceville’s Board of Trustees, is the present chairman of the Board of the American Center of Oriental Research. From many donations, the Bunn Library holds more than 100,000 volumes of publications and provides highly advanced research facilities and educational support.
Lavino Field House
The Edwin W. Lavino Field House was donated by Edward J. Lavino ’1905 in 1951 in honor of his father. Lavino was born in Izmir, Turkey. He graduated from the School in 1905, and for most of his life, he worked at his father’s company, E. J. Lavino & Company. Lavino was also a lieutenant in World War I. From 1947 to 1963, Lavino was the president of the Board of Trustees at Lawrenceville, and in 1964, he was named a trustee at Germantown Academy in Pennsylvania. Lavino donated $400 thousand to build Lawrenceville’s new field house that replaced the 1903 gymnasium. On June 1, 1951, Lavino also received a certificate of honorary membership to the L Club, which recognizes athletic achievement, even though he never played a sport while at the School. The Edwin W. Lavino Field House includes basketball, tennis, and volleyball courts in the arena as well as a banked indoor track, indoor ice hockey rink, wrestling room, community fitness center, indoor pool, and squash courts. If you are facing the stairway to the main entrance, you will see 1950 embedded into a block, which is a time capsule from the class of 1950.
Noyes History Center
Originally built as the science building, the Noyes History Center is named after Jansen Noyes ’1905 P ’35 ’40 GP ’59 ’65 and his brother Nicholas H. Noyes ’1902 GP’61 ’65 ’67. Surrounding the exterior of the building are eight aluminum medallions that represent various specialties of science. Born on August 8, 1853, Nicholas H. Noyes worked in a pharmaceutical company and was a philanthropist and benefactor of the School. In 1939, he established the Nicholas H. Noyes Jr. Scholarship Funds in honor of his son, Nicholas H. Noyes Jr. ’1932. Jansen Noyes ’05 took the position as a life trustee, succeeding Reverend Doctor John Dixon who completed 44 years of service as a trustee.
Woods Memorial Hall
Woods Memorial Hall was renamed after Henry C. Woods Jr. ’40 H’59 ’62 and his wife Jane Cheney Woods H’40. They donated $60 million to the School to be designated for financial aid and refurbishing buildings and grounds on campus. While at the School, Henry C. Woods Jr. was an English master, coach, and duty master. Jane Cheney Woods donated $135 thousand to the School to pay for private music lessons and for musicians to perform in Seoul, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. Woods Memorial Hall, the first School building at Lawrenceville, played a pivotal role in the history of Lawrenceville. The blueprints for the building, designed by Peabody and Stern, date back to the 1880s and are almost seven feet in width. Since the building was built before electricity was invented, the classrooms all face south to maximize the natural sunlight. The building features a grand staircase and elaborate carvings in brownstone, which was transported from Massachusetts to Lawrenceville in the 1880s. The grand staircase features two Roman style lions, and below them, a statue of a serpent is next to a statue of an owl. The statues are said to represent heaven and hell with the student walking a fine line between the two eternities, guided by a statue of the Roman Goddess of Wisdom and Education Minerva. Below the windows on the second floor are stone faces that represent the Seven Virtues and Vices. In the 1930s, when Lawrenceville officially adopted the Harkness method, the English classrooms were all renovated to accommodate Harkness tables, and the lounge, which was previously sectioned off into coat rooms, was renovated to be a common space. English Master Franklin Hedberg’s H'03 P'96 '00 current classroom served as the first library for the School. Until the Kirby Arts Center was built in the 1960s, students gathered every week in the Heely Room for school meeting, and looking closely, one can still see the woodwork that adorned the previous School auditorium.